The 2015-2016 year for Northside ISD art teachers is underway with outstanding inservices and trainings already in stride. These outstanding opportunities are open only to NISD educators and provided without cost to our teachers. Northside believes in staying ahead of the curve in art teacher preparation. Check out the links below to see what has occurred and what else will happen throughout the year. AWESOME is the word.
The display of student art from ages K-12 is a highlight around Northside. Year around displays may be seen in the administration venues in Northside ISD. Teachers, parents, and campus personnel, please check the links and see when your students will be showcased. The links include instructions for each venue. Put the dates on your calendar and enjoy the shows!!
Welcome to all NISD art instructors. Please check this blog regularly for information. We will be converting to a Google Blog this year, but until then, this is your avenue of information.
- September Art Alignment. September 24, 2015, 4:30 – 6:30 pm, Testing Annex behind Student Services Building at 5651 Grissom, 78238. Information regarding which part of NISD will attend Los Leones and which will attend Art Fest will be ready and you will have time to design and plan your installations for exhibits.
- Los Leones. February 26, 27, 2016, Marshall High School in Leon Valley; change of venue due to size of event.
- Art Fest Week. April 25 – 30, 2016, Paul Taylor Field House on Culebra.
- Inservices and District Exhibits for Administration Buildings are being prepared currently and should be posted soon.
SECONDARY ART KITS
- Approved. Vendor will be Asel’s Art. Both MS and HS kits have a different price than last year so check web pages and remove the prices posted last year.
- We are waiting on sale’s tax amount, but should have sample kits soon and a price so you can start selling. Even with higher prices this year, it is still the best bargain on buying art supplies anywhere.
ART I TEACHERS (MS AND HS)
- The newly standardized Art I for HS Credit for MS AND HS is making its debut and coming on board with more ease each day. It began with an assignment for day one and two. If you did not do this assignment, go back and do it before the week is over. This pre-assessment assignment is an integral part of Art I .
- The Middle School letters to parents for art were sent out with the Spanish and Algebra letters. This course is set up under the same umbrella as the other MS courses for HS credit.
- The committee programmed the first 12 weeks of the course. The syllabus has you currently finished with Assignment One and into the Quick getting started practices from tabs one and two. Check where you are and stay on schedule.
- Weeks 13 through 18 will be printed soon and that will cover the first semester. The writing of semester two will be completed during the first semester by committee. Remember this committee is open to all MS and HS art teachers who want to work.
- Be sure to get the Syllabus posted on your campus art department page and check to see if it is appearing as designed — several campus webpage links are not working correctly with this item.
- Send photos of students working and a short spiel to me for the Fine Arts Web Page.
Check it out: Lenise Perez-Miller is in the news. Lenise opened Blattman Elementary twelve years ago and started a wonderful tradition for graduating 5th graders to leave their art mark on the school. These artworks range from totem poles to wall art and many creative ideas between the two. Click on the link below and see this year’s art legacy — truly amazing. Congratulations Lenise and Blattman 5th graders — you rock art style
This post is the correction from the earlier inaccurate assignments for summer art camp teaching staff. As previously stated, the sign up responses were misinterpreted as only week one showed up in an non-expanded column for many of you who asked for both weeks. The art teachers for all nine campuses have now been revised so check your assignment carefully.
This summer, the Northside ISD Fine Arts Camps, will be hosted at nine Title I elementary campuses: Esparza, Fisher, Glenn, Howsman, Hull, Michael, Myers, Oak Hills Terrace, and Timberwilde in art K-3rd and in art and musical theatre for elementary students 4th – 5th. These fine arts camps are provided at no cost to students with all supplies furnished through the State and Federal Programs Department and the Fine Arts Department. These camps are open to all Title I elementary students. Please let students in your summer school clusters know.
Teachers please check the link to see your assignment and let me know if you cannot take that assignment. Also, see the information below regarding the assignments; please let me know if you are interested in my sharing the responses to the sign up on the drive so that you will see your place in line:
- requesting a position was via NISD Google Drive
- only NISD certified teachers qualified to teach
- certified Fine Arts Teachers were placed first
- other certified teachers were placed next according to the time stamped spreadsheet — earlier times first
- if campus requested was not available, another campus was assigned
- those not assigned are on a waiting list; we had 118 applications for 78 positions
Please disregard the earlier assignments for summer art camp teaching staff. The sign up responses were misinterpreted as only week one showed up in an non-expanded column for many of you who asked for both weeks. The art teachers for all 9 campuses are being revised and will be re-posted. Some of you may not have positions as earlier posted. I will also share the responses to the sign up on the drive so that you will see your place in line to receive a position. Re-post coming soon and then we will send information regarding staff meetings for camp.
NISD believes in training teachers and Visual Arts teachers have participated in many hours of training this school year. One of the favorite training sessions has been the Multimedia Saturday six-hour training session; in the 2013-2014 school year, this favorite was added to our Ceramic Saturdays and our Painting Saturdays. In its two years of existence, 48 hours have been offered in several different media, including giant ceramic vessels, grouted mosaics, massive cardboard sculptures, wax batik, paper making, glass blowing, tile glazing, and numerous more.
Our teachers who have spent 24 hours on Saturdays in these different media, will be honored by receiving a perpetual plaque designed to continue through various levels and presented for each 24 hours of Saturday time. For ceramic and painting Saturday time, teachers received honor trophies that also perpetuated through the levels.
Teachers check the link below to see if you are receiving a plaque or trophy and be sure you have not been missed in the tallying process
Come see these teachers receive their awards on Saturday of Artfest, May 9, 2015, starting at 1:00 PM
Plan to attend this stunning art gallery! It will be open to the public on Friday, May 8, and Saturday, May 9 — on Friday, the show opens at 3:30 PM and artwork is showcased until 8:30 PM; on Saturday, the gallery opens at 8:30 AM and will close at 2:00 PM. The student art will be displayed as installations formatted in cluster patterns. This allows parents with siblings, that attend high school, middle school, and/or elementary school, to find all their children’s artwork in one installation; younger students will be able to see what will be expected in their next art level and older students will be able to visit former teachers. Over the years, this type of gallery arrangement has proven to be delightful and feasible for everyone.
Also, come to enjoy entertainment from some other Fine Arts sections of NISD’s Fine Arts Department — on Friday, throughout the evening, we will hear Jazz Bands from Pease Middle School, Luna Middle School and Clark High School. On Saturday, we will have dance groups performing from 9:00 AM to 12 NOON.
Remember, the show closes at 2:00 PM sharp on Saturday and installations are dismantled. Teachers, please go to the teacher links below for all your instructions regarding ArtFest.
Four NISD Elementary art students and their parents, principals, and art teachers were invited to attend Texas Cavaliers press conference, Wednesday March 4th, at Coates Chapel, Southwest School of Art. Northside students’ artwork claimed 4 of the top 10 in the Texas Cavaliers River Parade Art Contest with one of our campuses, Northwest Crossing, being announced as the second place over all winner. In this contest, one winner is selected from each of the City Council districts in San Antonio with over 1,000 entries being judged.
Our students were honored royally by the Texas Cavaliers and also honored by royalty with King Antonio making the announcements and planning to visit the winning campuses. In addition to being honored for their talent, students received generous monetary support for their campus art program. Students also received a one week summer scholarship to Southwest School of Art, SSA. NISD also received art program support for several runners up, Check the link to see all our winners. For pictures of all the winning art go to campus websites.